Madrid could sack Lopetegui if results don't improve, says Essien
Real Madrid are on their worst scoring run since 1985 and former "Los Blancos" midfielder Michael Essien fears for Julen Lopetegui's future.
Julen Lopetegui could be sacked by Real Madrid if results do not improve soon, according to Michael Essien.
Lopetegui has overseen Madrid's worst goalscoring run since 1985, with Los Blancos failing to find the net in their last four games in all competitions.
Defeats to Sevilla and Deportivo Alaves in LaLiga and a reverse at CSKA Moscow in the Champions League have increased the pressure on the coach, who took charge in sensational circumstances after he was fired by Spain just before the World Cup.
Lopetegui has denied fearing the sack but Essien, who played for Madrid in a loan spell during the 2012-13 season, suggested he could be dispensed with if their form does not improve quickly.
"Real Madrid are one the biggest clubs, so you can imagine the pressure," Essien said to Omnisport. "We all hope he will do well.
"It's a big club and if you're not going to get the results you know what happens next."
Essien is best remembered for a nine-year spell at Chelsea, who broke the world transfer record for a goalkeeper to sign Kepa Arrizabalaga from Athletic Bilbao for €80million (£72m) in August.
The former Ghana midfielder is impressed with how the Spain international is settling in at Stamford Bridge.
"So far, so good," Essien said. "Hopefully he will continue like this."
Recommended in English
- NFL What is Dak Prescott's net worth?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Will Social Security beneficiaries get a fourth stimulus check?
- NFL Patriots vs. Bills live online: Bills extend lead in 4th quarter | NFL Playoffs
- NFL The Steelers activate JuJu ahead of Wild Card date with Chiefs
- NFL Could Brian Flores be the Texans next head coach?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis could be back by month end