At least one club under investigation for alleged money laundering, confirms UK security minister
Ben Wallace has told a Treasury Select Committee that investigations into allegations of money laundering in football are ongoing.
At least one professional football club is under investigation for alleged money laundering, according to UK security minister Ben Wallace.
Wallace confirmed the news at a Treasury Select Committee on Tuesday, although he would not specify the number of clubs involved for fear of compromising the legal process.
"I know of [a] professional football club or clubs under investigation. I couldn't reveal how many and what they are, for that is an operational matter," he told MPs.
Wallace had been asked by Labour's John Mann: "When it comes to money laundering, how many professional football clubs have been deemed as requiring investigation currently?"
He also told the Committee that professional football and sport in general are "as susceptible as anything else" when it comes to criminal groups attempting to launder money.
A spokesperson from the National Crime Agency said: "We do not routinely confirm or deny the existence of investigations.
"We have not charged any professional football clubs with money laundering, and there are none currently in the court process."
In response to a question from @JohnMannMP in our economic crime session earlier today, @BWallaceMP said that there are "professional football clubs under investigation" for money laundering. Watch the full session here: https://t.co/iuGNOAe7NV pic.twitter.com/ylzk38wJHz— Treasury Committee (@CommonsTreasury) October 30, 2018
Recommended in English
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: times, stream, how to watch it online and what to expect
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: list of nominees and the 6 GOTY contenders
- NFL LA Rams' WR Mike Williams latest to be put on covid-19 list
- EUROPA LEAGUE Have Barcelona ever played and won in the Europa League?
- GOLF When will Tiger Woods return to the PGA Tour?
- NFL NFL Fantasy Picks: Watch out for Wilson against Houston