CONMEBOL fails to confirm if River or Gremio will play Copa Libertadores final
Gremio have been given hope in their appeal against Copa Libertadores elimination after CONMEBOL refused to confirm River Plate's passage.
CONMEBOL failed to confirm who Boca Juniors will face in the Copa Libertadores final after Gremio announced an intention to appeal their elimination at the hands of River Plate due to coach Marcelo Gallardo breaking suspension rules.
River coach Gallardo was banned from the touchline for the semi-final second leg in Porto Alegre due to his conduct in the opening encounter, which the Brazilian side won 1-0 at El Monumental.
The Argentinian club reversed the deficit in Wednesday's second leg with a 2-1 triumph that set up a Superclasico in the final, but Gallardo admitted to entering the changing room at half-time, while he was also pictured communicating with his assistant Matias Biscay via radio from the stands.
Gremio later revealed they were to make a formal appeal to CONMEBOL – the governing body of football in South America – due to Gallardo's violation of suspension regulations.
CONMEBOL confirmed on Thursday that the first leg of the final will take place at Boca's La Bombonera stadium on November 10, but the return fixture – to be played 14 days later – has not been given a location, seemingly opening the door to Gremio.
CONMEBOL posted the announcement on their official Twitter account, saying: "The first final of the CONMEBOL Copa Libertadores 2018 will be played on Saturday 10 [November], at 16:00 local time, at the Boca Juniors club stadium. The second final will be played on Saturday 24, also from 16:00 [local time]."
La primera final de la CONMEBOL Libertadores 2018 será disputada el sábado 10, a las 16 hora local, en el estadio del club Boca Juniors. La segunda final se jugará el sábado 24, también desde las 16.— CONMEBOL.com (@CONMEBOL) November 1, 2018
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Men's 100m, track & field, medal count, results, today 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system
- GOLD CUP FINAL 2021 Gold Cup final: USA vs Mexico - times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?