Nishikori to replace Del Potro at ATP Finals
The world number four Juan Martin del Potro is still sidelined with a knee injury he sustained last month.
Argentina’s Juan Martin del Potro has withdrawn from the season-ending ATP Finals in London and will be replaced by Japan’s Kei Nishikori, organizers of the event said on Saturday.
The 30-year-old Argentine remains sidelined with a knee injury he sustained in Shanghai last month.
'It's frustrating for me not to be able to compete in London,' Del Potro, who last played in the event in 2013 since when he has been weighed down by injuries, said in an ATP statement.
'It's a very special tournament and I've tried everything possible to get my knee better. The rehabilitation is making good progress, but I need more time.
'Of course, it's disappointing for me right now, but I had a very good season overall.'
Nishikori’s fourth appearance
The 28-year-old Nishikori will be joining Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Alexander Zverev, Kevin Anderson, Martin Cilic and Dominic Thiem at the elite eight-player event.
This will be the Japanese’s fourth appearance the London’s O2 Arena, where he reached semifinals in 2014 and 2016.
'First of all I want to wish @delpotrojuan a speedy recovery,' Nishikori said on Twitter. 'He had an amazing year. Second I am very excited to join the London field.
'I started my year with challengers and missed the Aussie Open and Indian Wells. Very proud of the way the year turned out.'
This year’s ATP Finals run form 11-18 November.