LaLiga: New Celta Vigo coach mixes club up with Deportivo
Miguel Cardoso was left red-faced by an unfortunate slip of the tongue as he was unveiled by LaLiga club Celta Vigo on Tuesday.
Celta Vigo coach Miguel Cardoso got off to an embarrassing start at the struggling LaLiga club after mistakenly declaring he was taking over at their fierce local rivals Deportivo La Coruña.
New Celta boss previously had spell as Deportivo assistant
The Portuguese worked as an assistant at Celta's Galician neighbours Depor from 2012 to 2013 and got muddled up in his first news conference on Tuesday after being named as successor to Argentine Antonio Mohamed, who was sacked on Monday.
Cardoso looking forward to "new era at Deportivo... I mean Celta"
"I want to thank the president and the sporting director for showing faith in me and my coaching staff to start a new era at Deportivo... I mean Celta," said Cardoso, causing sporting director Felipe Miñambres, who sat next to him, to grimace.
Takes charge of team languishing in bottom half of LaLiga
Cardoso, who was coach at French side Nantes until 1 October, takes over a Celta side who are 14th in LaLiga, having lost 4-2 at home to Real Madrid on Sunday.
(Video above in Spanish without English subtitles)
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL Cardinals 11 vs. 34 Rams summary: scores, stats and highlights | NFL Playoffs
- NFL Raiders part ways with general manager Mike Maycock
- NFL The insufferable Superb Owl jokes: a rant
- PACO GENTO 1933-2022 Real Madrid legend Paco Gento passes away aged 88
- AFCON Salima Mukansanga to lead all-female officiating AFCON line-up