Barça accept they may have to sign a centre-back in January
Los Culés may be forced to turn to the winter transfer window as doubts remain over Samuel Umtiti's fitness for the rest of the season.
The doubts that remain over Samuel Umtiti's recovery from a knee injury and his ability to hold the Barcelona backline for the rest of the season means Los Culés could be forced to turn to the winter transfer window for back-up.
Too much, too soon
The French centre-back was sidelined at the end of September with an injury he had been carrying since the end of last season. However, he was given the all-clear from the club's medical staff to face Betis in LaLiga, but didn't feature for technical reasons. The lack of playing time and his ability to reach full fitness, particularly with games coming thick and fast, mean the club are keen not to push him too hard and further aggravate the injury.
Barcelona's current first-choice pairing are Gerard Piqué and Clement Lenglet, but, given the perpetual injury woes of Thomas Vermaelen, those at the top of the club feel they will need more reinforcements to cope with the demands in the latter half of the season and will need to bring someone in with proven experience.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA Philadelphia 76ers Morey says there is 'hope' for reconciliation with Ben Simmons
- US NEWS Will national parks close if there is a government shutdown?
- US NEWS How long do government shutdowns last?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Basketball's subtle influence on the world of football
- GREEN BAY PACKERS Aaron Rodgers: "How could you not be romantic about football?"
- NFL Jalen Hurts shoulders blame after Eagles defeat to Cowboys