PSG star Cavani to train this week
Thomas Tuchel expects to see Edinson Cavani in Paris Saint-Germain training this week, with a potential return following on Saturday.
Edinson Cavani is set to return to Paris Saint-Germain training this week, coach Thomas Tuchel has confirmed.
PSG's record goalscorer suffered a hip injury in the win over Bordeaux earlier this month and missed the Champions League last-16 first leg at Manchester United, joining Neymar on the sidelines.
But the Ligue 1 giants won 2-0 without the star duo at Old Trafford and Cavani is now nearing a return.
The Uruguay international will not be involved against Dijon in the Coupe de France quarter-finals on Tuesday, yet Tuchel is hopeful he might feature in the league this weekend as he rejoins the group for training.
"Edi will train with the team this week. He's talking to the medical staff," Tuchel told a news conference.
"He has worked very hard in a very professional way. I hope he can play on Saturday against Caen."
PSG face United in Paris four days after playing Caen, with Cavani now seemingly likely to feature in that crunch clash.
Neymar is further away from a return as he recovers from a foot injury in Brazil, but Tuchel wants to see the forward link up with PSG to offer his support before the United game. He could then train afterwards.
"There is a lot of time difference, so it's difficult, but we have been writing," Tuchel said. "He's good when he's in Brazil.
"It's important for us that he comes back before Manchester to support us. I hope that after Manchester United he can begin training again."
Meanwhile, Marquinhos will be rested in the cup this week, with Tuchel believing a break is necessary, yet there will be no complacency from the capital club against strugglers Dijon.
"This is a difficult time for Dijon, but this match is an opportunity for them to be more liberated than in Ligue 1," he said. "No-one expects much from them.
"I can imagine that they want to take this opportunity to go through, to reach the semi-finals and forget the everyday business of the league. But it's a very important competition for us, too."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPICS Team USA vs Spain 2021 Tokyo Olympics live updates: score, stats, highlights
- OLYMPIC GAMES How does sport climbing work at the Olympics? Rules, format and score system
- OLYMPICS GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 2 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles returns for gymnastic's balance beam finals: times, TV, and how to watch 2021 Olympics
- TRAVEL Which countries are in the ‘Level 4: Do not travel' category?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER The USWNT will play against Australia for bronze