Zidane to return as Real Madrid coach
Zinedine Zidane is set to be named as Santiago Solari's replacement less than 10 months after his shock resignation.
Zidane will return to coach Real Madrid, the club from which he resigned less than ten months ago.
The dismissal of current coach Santiago Solari is expected to be confirmed this evening, with the Madrid board set to announce Zidane as his replacement.
The news was broken earlier by Spanish TV program Jugones, which also was the first outlet to break the news of Cristiano Ronaldo’s move to Juventus last summer.
The Frenchman announced his shocking departure last May days after leading the club to their third consecutive Champions League title. His replacement Julen Lopetegui was sacked after just four months in the job following a string of poor results which culminated in the 5-1 loss to Barcelona at Camp Nou.
Now, Lopetegui’s successor, Solari faces a similar fate after Madrid were eliminated from Copa del Rey and Champions League and put out of the running for the LaLiga title in the space of seven days, following three consecutive home defeats to Barcelona twice and Ajax.
Since his departure from the Bernabéu last May, Zidane has been linked with Chelsea, Manchester United and former club Juventus. But in the end, if reports are correct, he is on his way back to the club where he has built his legacy as a player and manager.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL 49ers LB Dre Greenlaw out for 4-6 weeks due to groin injury
- National Football League second week breakdown
- BAYERN MUNICH "Magician", "the next Neymar": new Bayern starlet draws lofty praise
- PREMIER LEAGUE Despite posting losses Woodward confident that Man Utd are 'on right track'
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League: match-day 5, bullet point preview
- NBA Real Madrid's Demin, Duru among youngsters tipped for NBA