Otamendi out of Argentina squad with ankle injury
The AFA has confirmed centre-back Nicolas Otamendi will not play a part in upcoming friendlies against Venezuela and Morocco.
Manchester City defender Nicolás Otamendi has withdrawn from the Argentina squad due to an ankle injury, the Argentina FA has confirmed. Otamendi played the full 90 minutes as City came from behind to beat Swansea City 3-2 and reach the FA Cup semi-finals on Saturday. But, ahead of upcoming international friendlies against Venezuela and Morocco in preparation for the Copa América, he has been forced to pull out of the national team squad.
#SelecciónMayor El defensor de @Argentina, @Notamendi30, sufrió ayer un esguince de tobillo izquierdo jugando con su equipo, Manchester City. Esto le impedirá participar de los próximos compromisos en España y Marruecos quedando así desafectado de la convocatoria. pic.twitter.com/YXQgwUFUXQ— Selección Argentina 🇦🇷 (@Argentina) 17 March 2019
The 31-year-old centre-back started all four games for Argentina at last year's World Cup as Jorge Sampaoli's side were knocked out by France in the last 16. Otamendi's City team-mate Sergio Agüero was a surprise omission from Argentina's squad despite topping the Premier League's scoring charts with 18 goals.
Te recomendamos en English
- WORLD NEWS Spanish volcanologist explains what will happen when the lava reaches the sea on La Palma
- NFL NFL: Which players were fined from Week 2?
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- US NEWS Why is the social security Cost-Of-Living-Projection historically high?
- US NEWS What age should you file for social security to get the maximum benefits?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Arsenal vs Tottenham live online: Premier League 2021/22