Messi: "I don't remember being applauded by rival fans before"
Messi scored a hat-trick against Betis during Barcelona's 4-1 win at the Benito Villamarín and the home fans gave him a standing ovation after his third goal.
Lionel Messi spoke after Barcelona's victory over Real Betis on Sunday night. He scored a hat-trick, his fourth of the season and 33rd in LaLiga but it was his third that had tongues wagging. And the Real Betis fans at the Benito Villamarín applauding too.
The Argentine chipped Pau Lopez from an almost impossible angle and the rival fans applauded Messi for the genius that sparked the goal.
Messi given a standing ovation by Real Betis fans
"I don't remember being applauded by rival fans for a goal before," he told Movistar.
He was asked if he had ever scored such a nice goal and he responded, "I don't know, I was lucky that both of them went in but above all we got the three points. We knew that we had a good opportunity to put a little distance between ourselves and Atlético and we couldn't fail."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES How long is a marathon? How far is it in miles?
- Eviction moratorium extended: what's the new date and how many people will benefit?
- SOCCER Grealish: Man City sign Villa star in record Premier League deal
- Barcelona Where could Messi go next?
- OLYMPICS | BASKETBALL Durant and Team USA roll with the punches to bring gold closer
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021: what is Megan Rapinoe's net worth?