Rooney on his way to becoming MLS' new free-kick king
After scoring another free-kick in the game against Columbus Crew, D.C. United captain Wayne Rooney is on his way to becoming an MLS legend.
The D.C. United captain netted another free-kick in Wednesday's match against Columbus Crew - his fourth set-piece strike in his 28 MLS games since arriving in the States last July. In that time, no one else has scored more than one free-kick.
Rooney scored one of the most spectacular efforts so far this season in the game against Orlando City on 31 March, an impressive near-Olympic goal.
If the English striker keeps up this pace, he could demolish the record for the most free-kicks scored in MLS history, which is currently held by former Toronto FC star, Italian Sebastian Giovinco.
Rooney vs. Giovinco
Between 2015 and 2018, Giovinco scored 14 free-kicks out of 171 shots taken in regular-season football for Toronto FC, which puts his conversion rate at over 8%.
Meanwhile, Rooney has four free-kick goals out of 14 shots taken, leaving him with a success rate of 17%, making him the most dangerous set-piece expert in the league.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS At what age can you collect Social Security?
- Health What is ‘Golden Blood’, the incredibly rare blood type known as Rhnull
- ALFREDO RELAÑO LaLiga's conundrum in trying to schedule match-day 21
- NFL Divisional round predictions: Bengals vs Titans, 49ers vs Packers, Rams vs Bucs, Bills vs Chiefs
- NFL LA Rams' QB Matthew Stafford is ready to play the Bucs
- COPA DEL REY Athletic Club vs Barcelona summary: score, goals, highlights, Copa del Rey 2021-22