Henderson: "We're not stupid; we know we need a miracle"
The Liverpool captain was realistic about his side's chances of overturning a 3-0 deficit in Anfield but added: "You never know what might happen."
Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson and his teammates will gather around a television set on Monday evening to watch Manchester City host Leicester in the hope that former Reds boss Brendan Rodgers can hand his old side the advantage in the race for the Premier League title in the knowledge that if Pep Guardiola’s side are victorious it will be extremely difficult for Liverpool to win a first league in 29 years.
Even more difficult, by Henderson’s own admission, will be overturning a 3-0 deficit in the Champions League on Tuesday when Liverpool host Barcelona at Anfield. A Leo Messi-inspired victory at Camp Nou has given Barça a huge advantage going into the second leg and with both Roberto Firmino and Mo Salah ruled out of the fixture the mountain Liverpool have to climb just became considerably steeper.
Henderson: "Everybody expects Barcelona to go through"
“We’re not stupid,” Henderson told the Liverpool Echo. “We know we need a miracle. I’m sure that everybody expects Barcelona to go through. It’s a huge task but we don’t have any regrets about what we did in the first leg. We’re not happy with the result that came out of it but we still believe it is possible. I can’t have asked for any more from the team. Everybody has been fantastic and hopefully we will be in the game we have left in the Premier League and, hopefully, two more in the Champions League. We’ll keep going until the end and you never know what might happen.”
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: USA, Caeleb Dressel gold and WR in 4x100 medley, medal count, results, today 1 August
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: can it be passed in August? dates, tax return, opt-out...
- NFL Zimmer "frustrated" as 3 Viking QBs sit out practice due to covid-19 protocols
- GOLD CUP 2021 Mexico's CONCACAF 2021 Gold Cup squad: key absentees
- MLB Rays beat Red Sox to move top; Mets win in Báez debut
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August