Atlético Madrid president Cerezo 'disappointed' by Griezmann
Antoine Griezmann's desire to leave Atlético Madrid, with Barça or PSG likely destinations, has left club president Enrique Cerezo disappointed.
Atlético Madrid president Enrique Cerezo said he was "disappointed" by Antoine Griezmann's decision to leave the LaLiga club.
Griezmann decision 'more than annoying'
Griezmann announced this season would be his last for Atlético, the club he joined from Real Sociedad in 2014.
The France international has been heavily linked with a move to Barcelona despite signing a contract extension with Atlético until 2023 just last year.
A surprised Cerezo said he was saddened by Griezmann's decision to depart the Wanda Metropolitano.
"More than annoyed, I am disappointed. I thought that Antoine had a great future at Atlético, with big titles and big league wins," he told Fox Sports on Wednesday.
"The problem is that everyone thinks in their own way. We respect his decision, I and Atlético fans. We wish him all the luck in the world. One goes and others will come.
"I don't know where he will play, ask him. He can play where he likes.
"This is a surprise, it's a disappointment. If I was his advisor I would have told him to stay here. It's a free life and everyone can do what they think is right."
Griezmann won the Europa League, UEFA Super Cup and Spanish Super Cup during his five seasons with Atlético.
Te recomendamos en English
- TRAVEL Which countries are in the ‘Level 4: Do not travel' category?
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and Child Tax Credit live updates: can it be passed in August? Dates, tax return, opt-out...
- CORONAVIRUS What has Dr Fauci said about the covid-19 Delta variant and lockdowns?
- NFL Nick Foles plays down Colts trade talk: "I'm a Chicago Bear now"
- OLYMPICS GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 03 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Recap: Biles takes bronze, Thompson-Herah makes history