Fognini facing lengthy ban for Wimbledon "bomb" rant
The Italian, already serving a two-Slam suspended ban, said during his defeat to Tennys Sandgren that he hoped a "bomb would explode" in SW19.
Fabio Fognini launched into an astonishing on-court outburst during his defeat to Tennys Sandgren, claiming he "wished a bomb would explode" at Wimbledon.
Saturday's third-round tie on No.14 Court had to be stopped with Fognini a set down to Sandgren due to a disturbance in the crowd.
Fognini was visibly frustrated at the delay and began ranting in Italian until play was resumed, apparently unhappy with the remote venue.
The outburst was picked up by microphones, however, and Fognini could face retrospective action given the nature of his comments.
Fognini faces inquest after in-game tirade
"It's fair to play here?" the Italian, who went on to lose the match 6-3 7-6 (14-12) 6-3, said. "Damn English, really. Damned English. Wish a bomb would explode on this club. A bomb should explode here."
Fognini is serving a suspended two-grand slam ban for abusing an umpire at the 2017 US Open, with the suspension to be served if he committed a "major offence" within two years.
The world number 10 was asked about the scheduling and his subsequent comments in a terse post-match news conference.
"That's the schedule. The schedule is like that, I have nothing to say," he said. "The court was not really good."
He added: "Something happened on court. If I feel sorry for somebody, I have to say sorry. Now I have to be focused on the second half of the season.
"I will say sorry. If somebody feels offended, I will say sorry. No problem."
An eventful contest also saw Fognini receive treatment after punching his racquet, while he weaved through the Wimbledon crowds to visit a public toilet after the second set.
Te recomendamos en English
- SERIE A Ronaldo scores in his 1,000th game
- BARCELONA 5-0 EIBAR Quique Setién: "Messi is a guarantee for any coach"
- BARCELONA 5-0 EIBAR Braithwaite after Barcelona debut: "I won't wash my clothes after hugging Messi"
- Bundesliga Paderborn confirm death of 14-month-old girl at Bayern game
- BARCELONA 5 - 0 EIBAR Real Madrid badge spotted on scoreboard at the Camp Nou
- Levante v Real Madrid Hazard off injured during Levante-Real Madrid with Clásico next week