Liverpool have spoken to Nicolas Pépé, says Lille president
Lille president Gerard Lopez has revealed that Liverpool have held talks with Nicolas Pépé as Jürgen Klopp continues the search for reinforcements in attack.
Lille forward Nicolas Pépé has held talks with Liverpool, according to the Ligue 1 club's president Gerard Lopez.
The 24-year-old has been linked with a move to the European champions after enjoying a fine 2018-19 season, scoring 23 goals in 41 games in all competitions. Lopez confirmed the Ivory Coast international had spoken to the Premier League giants, who were yet to make contact with Lille.
"I know there have been discussions with the player, not with us as a club," he told RMC Sport on Friday. "Liverpool have players in those positions and I read that maybe there were players who leave, or not. I am not particularly focused on Liverpool, but it is true that there have been discussions with agents."
Pépé rumours denied by Liverpool
However, those suggestions were refuted by Liverpool's Sporting Director Michael Edwards last week, who stated that the Reds are not interested in Pépé and labelled the transfer talk as "pure lies".
Lopez revealed Lille had received two offers for Pépé before the Africa Cup of Nations, where Ivory Coast are into the Last 16, but have opted to wait until the end of the tournament. Atlético de Madrid were one of the clubs linked to the player but it seems highly unlikely they will be bringing in another expensive forward after smashing the club transfer record last week to sign João Félix.