Ancelotti not worried if Napoli lose out on Nicolas Pépé
Nicolas Pépé appears close to joining Premier League side Arsenal, though Napoli boss Carlo Ancelotti shrugged off that disappointment.
Carlo Ancelotti insists he is "not disappointed" after media reports began to indicate Napoli have missed out on Lille winger Nicolas Pépé to Arsenal. Ivory Coast international Pépé scored 22 goals in Ligue 1 last season, subsequently emerging as one of the hottest properties in French football.
Lille accept Arsenal offer
Pépé has been linked with a host of Europe's biggest clubs, including Manchester United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain. Napoli and Arsenal appeared to be leading the chase, but speculation on Saturday suggested the Gunners had all but wrapped up a 80 million euro deal. And after beating Liverpool 3-0 in a friendly on Sunday, head coach Ancelotti seemed to accept Napoli have missed out on the forward.
"I don't like to talk about players of other teams, but I'm not disappointed," Ancelotti told reporters when asked about Arsenal's apparent success in landing Pépé. "We have some players like Allan, [Kalidou] Koulibaly and Fabián Ruíz who are still on holiday. We are definitely looking for players. The transfer window is so long. We are looking [at signings]. If there are opportunities, we will look to seize those chances."
Recommended in English
- TRANSFER MARKET Real Madrid: Palmeiras to slap €100m price tag on Brazil wonderkid Endrick
- SERIE A Vlahovic tipped to fill Cristiano Ronaldo's boots at Juventus
- CORONAVIRUS What is ‘stealth Omicron’ and where have the first cases appeared?
- US NEWS Who are the main candidates for the position in the Supreme Court?
- NFL Why is the AFC Trophy named after Lamar Hunt?
- NFL How are the Cincinnati Bengals preparing for the noise in Arrowhead Stadium?