A 44-minute win gives Serena Williams 100th US Open victory
Serena Williams is back in the semi-finals after destroying the 18th seeded Qiang Wang 6-1, 6-0 at the US Open in New York.
It was Wang's first career quarter-final in a Grand Slam, and after beating the second-seeded Ashleigh Barty in the fourth round, the 27-year-old player was hoping to do the impossible against Williams.
But to go up against the 23-time major champion is not an easy task, and Serena proved why she's one of the best athletes in the world and favourite for the US Open title. The 37-year-old American hit 25 winners while Wang hit zero.
Serena reached her 100th US Open win in her most one-sided victory since 2015 getting into the semi-finals for the 13th time, and in the knowledge that she has not lost a semi-final in New York since 2007.
"It’s really unbelievable literally because when I first started here at 16, I didn't think I'd get to 100 or that I’d even be out here, but I love what I do. I love being with you guys," said Serena after the game.
Williams is chasing a 24th Grand Slam title which would put her level with Margaret Court on top of the all-time list, and right now, Serena is just two wins away from it.
Te recomendamos en English
- No group stages, EFL Cup or Nations League? Suggestions for a post-coronavirus football 'reform'
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: total USA cases and deaths, real-time map, 29 March
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: Di María discusses the impact on his life and family
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus live updates: data, infections, deaths USA, India, UK...
- CORONAVIRUS | TRANSFERS Coronavirus: Lavish spending and huge wages to be a thing of the past
- Coronavirus Social unrest spreads in Italy as coronavirus lockdown nears fourth week