Carlos Vela one goal away from rewriting MLS history books
The LAFC captain tied Josef Martínez's single-season scoring record on Sunday, and is one goal short of setting a new mark and rewriting MLS history.
Carlos Vela is having a splendid season in the United States and Canada league so far; setting his rhythm from the start, chasing Josef Martínez's single-season goals record, sitting atop the scoring table throughout the whole 2019 campaign.
Doubts emerged about whether Vela was going to be able to break or tie Martínez's mark when the LAFC captain missed a couple of games due to injury; however, Carlitos just set his name in the MLS history books.
Carlitos Vela tied Josef Martínez's 31-goal record from the 2018 season on Sunday against Minnesota United at Allianz Field, giving the LA-based side's fans something to celebrate despite the 1-1 draw result.
Carlitos made history in the 70th minute against the Loons, is just one goal from surpassing the Atlanta United striker's record, and will be on the road to set a new historic mark when LAFC take on the Colorado Rapids on the final day, to put his case to rest as the MVP of the 2019 campaign.
Carlos Vela's outstanding season
The LAFC striker is in the race for the Golden Boot with 31 goals, ahead of Zlatan Ibrahimovic on 29 goals, with one game left into the season. Vela already set the league record for goals and assists in a single season, having now managed 46 goals and assists.
Te recomendamos en English
- US ELECTIONS 2020 What is a 'contingent election' and what happens if Biden-Trump vote is tied?
- UNITED STATES USA election live online: Trump - Biden, coronavirus, stimulus checks, updates, breaking news
- US Election 2020 Electoral College map: which states have the most electors?
- USA election 2020 USA election 2020: where do I vote?
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: US coronavirus relief bill update
- US NEWS Will be there Black Friday in 2020 and when could it be?