Andy Murray to make Grand Slam return at Australian Open
Melbourne Park tournament director Craig Tiley confirmed the five-time Australian Open runner-up will return to the tournament a year after saying farewell.
Former world number one Andy Murray will play at the 2020 Australian Open in January, confirmed tournament director Craig Tiley.
The 2019 Australian Open appeared to be Murray's final appearance in Melbourne as the three-time grand slam champion revealed his retirement plans due to a troublesome hip problem.
Murray, however, underwent hip resurfacing surgery following the grand slam and has since returned to the ATP Tour following a comeback via doubles and the Challenger Tour.
Now, Murray – a five-time Australian Open runner-up – is set to feature at next year's event at Melbourne Park.
Murray "ready to return" says Australian Open director
"For sure Andy will be here," Tiley told Melbourne radio station Triple M on Tuesday. "I was on the phone to his agent this morning. He is going to be in Australia early.
"He is ready to return. Remember he said goodbye a year ago. It's great in that period he had surgery and has rebounded really well."
Tiley was speaking after Murray reached the second round of the Shanghai Masters with a three-set win over Juan Ignacio Londero on Monday.
It has been a long road for Murray, who dropped down to the ATP Challenger Tour in August for the first time since 2005 in a bid to improve his fitness following surgery in January, which threatened to end his stellar career.
The Brit started a singles comeback at ATP Masters 1000 tournament the Western & Southern Open before making a swift exit from the Winston-Salem Open.
Murray – who played a series of high-profile doubles tournaments after teaming up with Serena Williams in the mixed event at Wimbledon – then opted to skip the US Open in New York.
Recommended in English
- COVID-19 Covid Omicron variant live updates: symptoms, vaccines, travel ban, South African cases...
- COVID-19 Where has the new covid-19 Omicron variant been detected? What are the symptoms?
- BOXING How much money are Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos making? How much does the winner get?
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- NFL Buffalo Bills CB White out for rest of season with ACL tear
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What are the abortion laws in America? In what states is it illegal to have an abortion?