LaLiga appeal against Dec 18 Clásico reschedule date
The game was due to be played at Barca's Camp Nou stadium on Saturday but was postponed following a request from La Liga due to security concerns.
LaLiga will appeal against the Spanish Football Federation's (RFEF) decision to hold the postponed Clásico between Barcelona and Real Madrid on Wednesday Dec. 18.
The game was due to be played at Barca's Camp Nou stadium on Saturday but was postponed following a request from La Liga due to security concerns. There has been unrest throughout Catalonia following the decision by Spain's High Court last week to jail nine Catalan separatist leaders for their role in an illegal referendum.
LaLiga statement on Clásico
LaLiga would prefer the game to be played on December and said they will appeal the scheduling decision.
"LaLiga will exercise the relevant judicial and administrative actions in defence of the clubs affiliated with the league," said the Spanish top flight in a statement on Thursday.
LaLiga said there is no rule which allows the clubs to choose the date of the fixture, or law which allows it to be bypassed regarding organisation of matches.
It said the loss of earnings from holding the game on the 18th when Copa del Rey matches are taking place, instead of on another date, would impact the entire league.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES | DAY 12 Tokyo Olympics: China lead as Japan and Great Britain climb
- TOKYO OLYMPICS De Grasse succeeds Bolt as McLaughlin breaks record
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Australia vs USA: times, TV and how to watch online
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL USA vs Australia: times, TV and how to watch online
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Marathon rules, distance and course at the Tokyo 2021 Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBAL How many Olympic medals does LeBron James have?