Euro 2020 facts and statistics
The Euro 2020 draw takes place on Saturday in Bucharest, Romania at 18:00 CET. 20 teams have qualified for the Championships which take place next summer across the continent.
This Saturday the UEFA Euro 2020 final tournament draw takes place in Bucharest, Romania, at 18:00 CET. The following teams have already qualified:
Belgium, Italy, Russia, Poland, Ukraine, Spain, France, Turkey, England, Czech Republic, Finland, Sweden, Croatia, Austria, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal, Switzerland, Denmark and Wales.
A further four teams will qualify through the play-offs, with those matches taking place in March 2020. You can check out the play-off teams and matches here.
Euro 2020 facts and figures
- This is the 16th edition of the European Championship, 60 years after the inaugural tournament in France (1960).
- For the first time ever, the European Championship will be played in more than two countries. In total, 12 different countries will be hosting the 2020 tournament, with half of them welcoming a major international tournament (World Cup, European Championship) for the first time: Azerbaijan, Denmark, Ireland, Hungary, Romania and Scotland.
- The final of the 2020 European Championship will be played at Wembley Stadium. This is the second time the London venue will be hosting the final of the tournament after 1996.
- 24 teams are taking part in the 2020 European Championship, with Finland the only nation to make their debut in the competition among the 20 having already qualified. A record four debuting teams made the knockout stages of the last European Championship in 2016 (Iceland, Northern Ireland, Slovakia, Wales).
- Since – and including – 1988, the ultimate winner of the European Championship has topped its group only three times in eight tournaments (Germany 1996, Spain 2008 & 2012), a 37.5% ratio. In 2016, Portugal became the first team to lift the trophy despite not winning a single game in the group stages (3 draws) and finishing third.
- Four previous editions of the European Championship have seen the two finalists face each other in the group stages and in the final of the same tournament (1988, 1996, 2004, 2012). This has happened every eight years since 1988.
- Over the last two European Championship tournaments, only one team managed to win all three of its group games in a single edition – Germany in 2012. No side managed it in 2016.
- The most prolific game at the European Championship was also the first ever match in the history of the tournament, on 6 July 1960: nine goals were scored in a 5-4 win for Yugoslavia against France.
- Three of the last six finals of the European Championship have gone to extra-time (1996, 2000, 2016). However, the only Euro final to go to penalties was in 1976, with Czechoslovakia the victors (2-2 a.e.t., 5-3 pens vs West Germany).
- Germany, Spain and France have won 53% of the European Championship (8 out of 15). Germany and Spain are also the only teams to have won it on three occasions.
- Portugal will attempt to become only the second team to win back-to-back European Championship after Spain (2008, 2012). They are also the only team to have reached the knockout stages of the tournament in each of the last six editions, a run stretching back to the 1996 tournament.
- France will attempt to become the fourth team to win back-to-back World Cup and European Championship – in no particular order – after West Germany (Euro 1972, World Cup 1974), France (World Cup 1998, Euro 2000) and Spain (Euro 2008, World Cup 2010, Euro 2012).
- France’s 14 goals (in 5 games) at Euro 1984 is the most registered by a team in a European Championship tournament.
- No team has played as many games as England in the European Championship without ever reaching the final (31 matches, 0 final).
Players & Managers
- The top scorer in a single Euro is Michel Platini – the French midfielder scored nine goals in the 1984 edition, leading France to the trophy for the first time ever. He found the net in all five of France’s games, including back-to-back hat-tricks in the group stages and the opening goal in the final.
- Cristiano Ronaldo holds the record for most games (21), most goals (9, joint with Michel Platini) and most editions with at least one goal (4) at the European Championship. The Portuguese forward is also the European player with the most appearances at major tournaments, World Cup and Euro combined (38, joint with Bastian Schweinsteiger).
- Since 1980, only Czech Republic’s Karel Poborsky (6) has delivered more assists than Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo (5) at the European Championship. The record for most assists in a tournament since 1980 belongs to Ljubinko Drulovic for FR Yugoslavia in 2000 (4), Wales’ Aaron Ramsey in 2016 (4) and Belgium’s Eden Hazard in 2016 (4).
- France’s Antoine Griezmann has been directly involved in more goals (14) than any other European player over the last two major tournaments: 10 goals + four assists in 14 games at Euro 2016 and World Cup 2018. Eight of those goals and all four assists were in the knockout stages.
- Spain’s Fernando Torres is the only player to score in two finals at the European Championship (2008 and 2012).
- This is Joachim Löw’s seventh major tournament (World Cup + Euro) as Germany head coach, setting a new record for the Nationalmannschaft. He has taken charge of 17 European Championship games, also a record. Löw has led Germany to the semi-finals in five of his six previous tournaments, with the only exception coming at World Cup 2018 (k/o in group stages).
- If France’s Didier Deschamps lifts the trophy at Euro 2020, he would become the first person ever to win the World Cup and European Championship both as player and manager.
- Didier Deschamps (France) and Ronald Koeman (Netherlands) are the only managers at Euro 2020 to have won the tournament as players.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- US NEWS Covid vaccine in the US live updates today: J&J vaccine recall, blood clots, Fauci statements, My Turn...
- ROYAL FAMILY Prince Philip Funeral: what happened at the Duke of Edinburgh's Windsor ceremony?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK $600 Golden State Stimulus check: when are they being sent?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check for veterans: how to track and claim a missing payment
- MLS Carlos Vela gets mad at Bob Bradley for taking him off too early