Leonardo praises Neymar's desire amid continuing doubts over PSG future
Leonardo was asked about Neymar following Paris Saint-Germain's 4-0 rout of Saint-Etienne on Sunday.
PSG sporting director Leonardo praised Neymar's desire amid continuing speculation linking him with an exit from Parc des Princes.
Neymar was desperate to leave PSG during the previous transfer window, however, a return to former club Barcelona did not materialise.
There continue to be doubts over the PSG superstar's future in Paris ahead of the January transfer window.
Leonardo was asked about Neymar after the Brazil international supplied two assists and missed a second-half penalty in Sunday's 4-0 Ligue 1 rout of Saint-Etienne.
Leonardo: Neymar making a lot of effort
"I think Neymar is making a lot of effort in every way and also in terms of state of mind," Leonardo told reporters.
"I think the story we have lived is real, it happened a short time ago, but I see a lot of effort on his part.
"The system also forces him to go back, ditto for Kylian [Mbappe], [Mauro] Icardi too, [Edinson] Cavani always did and Pablo Sarabia and [Angel] Di Maria ... they make themselves available and we also have a balance behind that we are forced to have.
"Coming back to Neymar, he still has a lot to do, but I see a real desire on his part to make himself available."
Leonardo refuses to answer transfer questions
With the transfer market set to reopen in January, PSG have been linked to Juventus outcast Emre Can – who could swap places with Leandro Paredes.
As speculation intensifies, Leonardo urged for Thomas Tuchel to be left alone over transfers.
"I think I'm going to ask you not to ask the coach questions about the transfer window," he said. "The transfer window is a club issue. I have been in football for a long time, I know the limit of the role of the coach, the president, the communication director and that everyone does their job.
"You have to stop with the coach, leave him alone, talk to him about the technical side of the team. The transfer window is a question of opportunity. This group there, for me, it is complete.
"What is also positive is that we managed to play in Ligue 1 two young kids, [Adil] Aouchiche and [Tanguy] Kouassi and that is nice. In addition I think that these are two players who will complement the workforce with their qualities."
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and Child Tax Credit live updates: can it be passed in August? Dates, tax return, opt-out...
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 3 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Tokyo Olympics: Warholm breaks own record of 46-second in 400 m hurdle gold run
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS How many Olympic medals has Simone Biles? What's her position in US historical ranking?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics: Belarus must answer to IOC over Tsimanouskaya saga
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics Recap: Warholm hurdles into history, Durant inspires USA into basketball semis