Liverpool ease defensive crisis by recalling Phillips from Stuttgart
Nat Phillips was due to spend all of 2019-20 at Stuttgart but has been recalled by Liverpool due to their defensive injury crisis.
Liverpool have recalled Nat Phillips from his loan at Stuttgart to bolster their options in defence.
Phillips was due to spend the entire 2019-20 season at the 2.Bundesliga side but has returned to Anfield and will be available for selection from the FA Cup meeting with Everton on January 5.
Injuries to Dejan Lovren and Joel Matip have left Liverpool short at centre-back, with Jordan Henderson having to play in defence for the Club World Cup semi-final against Monterrey on December 18 when Virgil van Dijk was ruled out through illness.
However, 22-year-old defender Phillips could yet return to Stuttgart next month.
Phillips could return to Stuttgart after winter break
We have reached an agreement with Stuttgart for Nat Phillips to return from his loan spell in January.— Liverpool FC (@LFC) December 27, 2019
Phillips will return at the beginning of next month and be eligible for Reds matches, starting with the FA Cup tie against Everton.
"With their squad currently stretched by injuries and a busy schedule, Liverpool asked to recall the centre-back from his loan spell," a Stuttgart statement read.
"The two clubs have agreed, however, to look into the possibility of Phillips going back to Stuttgart at the end of the German winter break."
Phillips has featured 11 times in all competitions for Stuttgart this season, making seven starts.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA Philadelphia 76ers Morey says there is 'hope' for reconciliation with Ben Simmons
- US NEWS Will national parks close if there is a government shutdown?
- US NEWS How long do government shutdowns last?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Basketball's subtle influence on the world of football
- GREEN BAY PACKERS Aaron Rodgers: "How could you not be romantic about football?"
- NFL Jalen Hurts shoulders blame after Eagles defeat to Cowboys