Djokovic matches Sharapova's $25k donation to bushfire victims
With Australia ravaged by bushfires, Novak Djokovic and Maria Sharapova are donating $25,000 each to assist relief for the victims.
Novak Djokovic has matched Maria Sharapova's donation of $25,000 (22,330 euros) to help those affected by bushfires in Australia. Bushfires have ravaged large parts of the country in recent months, with New South Wales and Victoria hugely impacted. Sports personalties have rallied to raise funds for victims and Sharapova and Djokovic offered their help as the duo prepare for the upcoming Australian Open.
"The month of January in Australia has been my [home emoji] for the past 15 years," Sharapova wrote on Twitter. "Watching the fires destroy the lands, its beautiful families and communities of animals is deeply [heartbreak emoji]. I would like to begin my donation at 25K. @DjokerNole, would you match my donation? #letsallcometogether."
Djokovic responded on Monday, writing: "Yes, @MariaSharapova I would like to match your $25k donation to double the aid sent to these communities. We stand by you, #Australia."
World number two Djokovic will be aiming for an eighth Australian Open title and 17th major when the grand slam starts on 20 January in Melbourne.
Te recomendamos en English
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Biden - Trump last debate live online: updates, fact check and reactions
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, cases, deaths, updates today
- Covid-19 Financial Crisis How will the election affect unemployment benefits in US?
- US NEWS Who is Kristen Walker, moderator for the final presidential debate? | US Election 2020
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Trump - Biden debate: why will they be muted when the other is talking?
- PRESEDENTIAL DEBATE Last debate Trump vs Biden tonight: time, TV and how to watch live online