Lazio fined 20,000 euro for racist chants aimed at Balotelli
The side from the capital were fined after a section of their supporters hurled racist insults at Brescia's Mario Balotelli during the Serie A fixture last weekend.
Once again, a Serie A match last weekend was overshadowed by racism as a sector of the travelling Lazio fans aimed insults and directed monkey chants at Brescia's Mario Balotelli. The striker raised the issue with match official Mr. Manganiello in the first half with the referee briefly interrupting the match as the PA system announced that that the game would be stopped should the chants persist.
"Lazio fans present at the stadium today, shame on you."— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) January 5, 2020
Mario Balotelli has said fans should be ashamed of themselves after reports of racist abuse during today's Serie A match between Brescia and Lazio.
In full ➡ https://t.co/evGiF8TmyV pic.twitter.com/CoaYmGtRnO
Lazio later issued a statement in which it condemned the behaviour of a "tiny minority" of its supporters. The side from the capital also claimed that it would seek prosecution for those responsible. The club's intention to target the individuals involved and to cooperate in the investigation has seen the side avoid heavier punishment.
Racist incidents and the phenomenon of monkey chants have become a common feature in Italian stadiums this season with the likes of Inter's Romalu Lukaku, Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly, Franck Kessié and Ronaldo Vieira all having been on the receiving end of racist chants.
Recommended in English
- COVID-19 Covid Omicron variant live updates: symptoms, vaccines, travel ban, South African cases...
- COVID-19 Where has the new covid-19 Omicron variant been detected? What are the symptoms?
- BOXING How much money are Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos making? How much does the winner get?
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- NFL Buffalo Bills CB White out for rest of season with ACL tear
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What are the abortion laws in America? In what states is it illegal to have an abortion?