Dembélé injury set to impact financially on Dortmund
With the French player set to miss the rest of the season and miss his 75th appearance in the azul-grana shirt, Dortmund will lose out as an appearance bonus fails to trigger.
Ousmane Dembélé's latest injury setback is poised to cause a major headache for the Catalan club who have already lost striker Luis Suarez, with the forward unlikely to play again this season after surgery to address a recurrent knee problem.
New head coach Quique Setién now finds himself with just three recognised strikers in the shape of Lionel Messi, Antoine Griezmann and Ansu Fati. The Dembélé absence comes as a blow for Barça in sporting terms but also impacts on his former club Borussia Dortmund on an economic level with the German side set to lose out on a five million euro appearance bonus according to Spanish TV show El Chiringuito.
When the French international joined FC Barcelona, the LaLiga side paid 105 million euro with an additional 40 in the form of 'add-ons'. These variable payments were based on completed objectives such as number of matches played, winning LaLiga and the Champions League with each completed task triggering a specific add-on. With Dembélé having played 74 official games in the famous claret and navy shirt, he falls one game short of activating the 75 game clause and payment bonus of five million euro to the Bundesliga side.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS What will be included on President Biden's executive order on the risk of cryptocurrencies?
- Cryptocurrency How much has Bitcoin devalued since its all-time high?
- NFL Bengals vs Chiefs unveils a new historic rivalry
- NFL Bengals vs Chiefs, 49ers vs Rams: AFC, NFC Championship Game previews
- NFL NFL Power Rankings: Chiefs, Rams and Niners
- NFL Kelce key to Kansas City's playoff success