Duplantis breaks pole vault world record for second time in a week
The Swedish 20-year-old has set pole vault world records in Poland and Scotland on successive weekends, and he wants Olympic gold in Tokyo.
Sweden's new athletics superstar Armand Duplantis landed a pole vault world record for the second successive weekend and then set his sights on Olympic Games glory.
Duplantis cleared 6.18 metres at the indoor Grand Prix in Glasgow as the 20-year-old improved by one centimetre on the mark he set last Saturday in Poland.
Frenchman Renaud Lavillenie was the previous world record holder, with a best clearance of 6.16m indoors and 6.05m outdoors, but Duplantis now holds the two highest clearances in history.
Duplantis had a failure at 5.75m in Glasgow but cleared on his second attempt before going over untroubled at 5.84m and 6.00m.
With victory already assured, the youngster had the bar raised to the world record height and soared over, earning himself a $30,000 bonus.
Duplantis has now set his sights on winning gold at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
Duplantis: "The Olympics is the biggest thing an athlete can compete in"
"I'm excited for the outdoor season," he said. "The Olympics is the biggest thing a track and field athlete can compete in and that's where I want to have my best competition of the season, so it's a good start but that's where I want to be the best."
Reacting to his latest achievement, Duplantis told BBC Sport: "It's a complicated event and so many things go into creating a good jump. "There's so many years of hard work ... but I guess when you're doing it right it seems simple.
"It's safe to say I feel good on the runway: I feel fast, I feel strong, I feel like I'm working the poles I have really well."
Te recomendamos en English
- Tottenham 'just a pony' in Premier League title race? Lampard disagrees with Mourinho
- CYBER MONDAY Cybermonday 2020 opening hours & best deals in Kohls, Best Buy, Wayfair
- US Election Election USA 2020: why did Donald Trump pay $3 million for recount in Wisconsin?
- US News Cyber Monday 2020 opening hours and best deals in Walmart, Costco & Target
- US News Walmart, Amazon and Macy´s: Black Friday returns policies
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: latest on US coronavirus relief bill