Benzema renews deal with Real Madrid
Karim Benzema has finally put pen to paper on a new deal with Real Madrid, although both parties have decided not to make it official until the end of the season.
Karim Benzema has finally signed an extension to his contract with Real Madrid, which was set to expire in 2021.
In line with the club's policy for players over 30, the 32-year-old striker was offered a one-year extension, which will see him remain at the Bernabéu until at least 2022.
On the account of their excellent relations, both the club and the player have decided to wait until the end of the season to make the agreement official.
Talks from Benzema’s side were handled by Karim Djaziri, who has been his agent for almost his entire career. Djaziri’s agency, the Best of You, also represents Casemiro and Álvaro Odriozola.
Since the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo in the summer of 2018, the Frenchman has become Madrid’s main source of goals. Having scored 30 goals last season, he has so far managed 18 this term and is the running with Lionel Messi for LaLiga’s Pichichi award.
Benzema’s recent drought for Madrid
Although lately, of course, Benzema has been going through somewhat of a drought. Since his unforgettable last-gasp equaliser at the Mestalla against Valencia on 15 December, the Lyon-born marksman has managed just one goal in the league, which came in the 1-0 win over Atlético in the Madrid derby a few weeks ago. He also scored once in the Copa del Rey against Zaragoza (4-0) on 29 January.
Since the Mestalla game and up until the last match against Celta Vigo last weekend, the Madrid number ‘9’ has had 23 times shots at goal in the leaguer, 12 of which were on target (52.18%), one ending up in the net.
Recommended in English
- FORMULA 1 Lewis Hamilton wants to see change in Saudi Arabia
- SOCIAL SECURITY What is an unrestricted Social Security card? How can I apply for it?
- NFL Bucs' Bruce Arians wants the NFL to look at other teams.
- LALIGA Barcelona vs Betis: times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What is the difference between an abortion pill and Plan B?
- SOCCER AC Milan defender Simon Kjaer out for the rest of the season after undergoing knee surgery