Coronavirus: Shevchenko sees similarities with Chernobyl disaster
Ukraine coach Andriy Shevchenko sees similarities between the Chernobyl disaster and coronavirus pandemic.
Former AC Milan and Chelsea forward Andriy Shevchenko believes the coronavirus pandemic is similar to the Chernobyl disaster.
More than 30,800 people have died from coronavirus, with the number of cases worldwide exceeding 660,000.
Shevchenko: "I lived a moment very similar to this"
Shevchenko, who was a child at the time of the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 that reportedly killed 54 people and is said to have led to thousands of deaths, said he saw similarities.
"I lived a moment very similar to this. At the time, I was nine years old," the Ukraine coach told Sky Sport.
"The only thing we have to do is avoid stupid behaviour. None of us can be sure that we have no contracted the virus.
Ukraine is supporting Italy in fighting against COVID-19— Andriy Shevchenko (@jksheva7) March 21, 2020
City Hall of Kyiv
L’Ucraina supporta l’Italia nella lotta contro il COVID-19
City Hall di Kiev pic.twitter.com/DyOJ8La6YI
"We must not go out, we must not think only of us, but above all of those people for whom the infection would be a greater problem."
"Stay at home and give doctors the opportunity to do their job"
Shevchenko thanked doctors and nurses and urged people to respect guidance from their governments.
Italy, where Shevchenko played with AC Milan from 1999-2006, has seen more than 10,000 deaths due to coronavirus.
"The only solution is to respect the rules of the government - that is to stay at home and give doctors the opportunity to do their job, which is really huge," he said.
"Give them volunteer nurses, they are the heroes of our time. They must be thanked for all they are doing."
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League to allow five substitutions for rest of 2019/20
- George Floyd Autopsy reveals George Floyd was infected with Covid-19
- George Floyd What is K-pop and why are fans swarming social media over George Floyd protests?
- GEORGE FLOYD PROTESTS George Floyd protests live updates | Minneapolis, US riots, reactions, Trump, Anonymous...
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: what to do if the payment is sent but the mail has not arrived
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: Republicans having doubts about another $1,200 payment