Henderson setting up Premier League fund to help NHS
The Liverpool captain has been ringing professional footballers to set up a fund to donate money to the NHS during coronavirus pandemic.
Jordan Henderson, Liverpool's captain, is at the centre of a fund-raising drive that will see Premier League footballlers donate millions of euro to the NHS as reported by both The Times and The Guardian.
Premier League footballers have been criticised for not 'playing their part' by the UK's health minister, Matt Hancock, on Thursday. "Given the sacrifices many people are making, the first thing PL footballers can do is make a contribution," he said.
Premier League owners were also in the firing line as some suggested they should be taxed if they were not willing to reduce players' salaries. Four clubs have reduced staff salaries including Norwich, Bournemouth, Newcastle and Tottenham and the others are waiting for the outcome of talks between the Premier League, the PFA and EFL.
Premier League understood to have discussed 30 per cent wage deferral/cut for players at today's meeting. Likely that it becomes cut depending on when/if games can be played— Sam Wallace (@SamWallaceTel) April 3, 2020
Players have been in total agreement with Henderson's plan according to the report and they are now working on the logistics of that aid. The Sunderland native wanted to establish the fund before it hit the headlines, which he couldn't do, but the aid has the potential to ease the pressure on an increasingly burdened health service.
The aid will be separate from any wages deferrals, reductions or salary cuts.
Te recomendamos en English
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPICS Thompson-Herah wins women's 100m title and beats Fraser-Pryce
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Tokyo Olympics: Spain's late escape, as Brazil line up Mexico
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Team USA into quarters as Durant and Tatum star
- GOLD CUP USA vs Mexico: times, TV and how to watch online
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system