Number of burials increase in New York's Heart Island
Hart Island is an existing burial ground in New York City and because of the coronavirus pandemic, the number of burials significantly increased.
Based on historical data from New York City (NYC) Council, it shows, unsurprisingly, that since the coronavirus pandemic hit the state the number of burials have increased in Hart Island. Historically this place has been used as a final resting place for people who died unclaimed and due to the alarming number of Covid-19 deaths, it will also be used for unclaimed victims who died during the pandemic.
Usually about 25 people are buried on the island each week but since coronavirus began claiming victims in the U.S. there are about 25 people buried each day, according to the press secretary Freddi Goldsteing.
New York is the state that has suffered most coronavirus deaths across the country with more than 5,000 confirmed as of the morning of 10 April. Morgues can’t handle the high amount of burials so the Gov. Andrew Cuomo suggested using Hart Island as a temporary burial ground for coronavirus victims.
Some context on graves at Hart Island, NY. This is an existing burial ground, but there is one new thing happening now: the # of burials significantly increased, based on historical data from NY City Council & approx. numbers from a Dept of Corrections spokesperson. #COVIDー19 pic.twitter.com/6IzEWXNzLA— Christoph Koettl (@ckoettl) April 10, 2020
The governor said that the curve of death toll is flattening from recent days but more people are expected to die from coronavirus in the next few weeks but at a lesser rate.
1990 was the year with most burials in NYC
New York's City Council also revealed that before the coronavirus pandemic, the year 1990 saw more deaths because of AIDS. During that pandemic more than 100 thousand people died in New York City between the 80’s and 90’s.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: will there be a new payment in November?
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, Amy Barret, cases, deaths, updates today
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Early voting in NYC: dates, how to vote and where to find locations near me
- GAMING NEWS Pokémon GO A Spooky Message Unmasked: all research tasks and rewards from Halloween event
- BRAZIL Ronaldinho tests positive for coronavirus
- Covid-19 Economic Crisis Unemployment benefits NY: why was New York denied an extra $300?