The United States overtakes Italy in total number of coronavirus deaths
On Saturday, the total number of deaths in the United States soared to over 20,000 while 525,000 have tested positive since the outbreak started.
The United States has overtaken Italy as the country with the most coronavirus deaths worldwide even though experts on the White House from the coronavirus task force say that the pandemic is starting to level across the country.
So far more than 525,000 people have tested positive for Covid-19 since the outbreak started and more than 20,000 have died - the highest number of deaths out of any country in the world. Globally, at least 108,000 people have died from coronavirus-related illnesses and more than 1.7 million have been diagnosed with the virus.
While the worldwide numbers are high, it is believed that the true figures could be even higher due to testing shortages, unreported cases and suspicions that some governments are hiding the scope of their outbreak in their country.
Countries with more Covid-19 deaths
At the current rate the United States could reach 30,000 coronavirus deaths by the end of next week while Italy has reported a total of 19,468 and Spain 16,480. Here is the death toll across the world since the outbreak started in China in December.
- United States - 20,304
- Italy - 19,468
- Spain - 16,353
- UK - 9,875
- Iran - 4,357
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Denver Broncos vs Cleveland Browns live online: scores, stats and updates | NFL Week 7
- MLB Braves vs. Dodgers live online, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- US NEWS Is the Social Security increase for 2022 the largest in US history?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- NBA NBA 20/21 season to feature 109 international players from 39 countries