For the first time in history Trump declares all 50 states in major disaster
It is the first time in the history of the United States that a president declares a major disaster in all 50 states at the same time.
After President Donald Trump declared Wyoming in a major disaster, now all 50 states are under such declaration due to the coronavirus pandemic. This is the first time in history that a president issues a major disaster declaration in all 50 states at the same time.
Deputy Press Secretary of the White House Judd Deere reported the news on Twitter on April 11 as the U.S. reaches 560,402 cases of coronavirus and 22,103 deaths as of the evening of April 12.
“The President continues to respond to the needs of every Governor to protect the health of all Americans,” wrote Deere on Twitter.
🚨With @realDonaldTrump’s declaration for WY, the President has now declared for the 1st time in history that a major disaster exist within all 50 states at once. The President continues to respond to the needs of every Governor to protect the health of all Americans. 🇺🇸 #COVID19— Judd Deere (@JuddPDeere45) April 11, 2020
At the moment Wyoming has confirmed 270 Covid-19 cases and no deaths but on Thursday the Gov. of Wyoming Mark Gordon issued the declaration on Thursday in a letter to Donald Trump, “Though Wyoming has not reached the dire situations of some states, this declaration will help us to prepare and mobilize resources when we need them,” Gordon said.
The virus is highly contagious, and authorities at various levels of government around the country have been urging social distancing guidelines or implementing stay-at-home restrictions in an attempt to slow the spread.
The first state to be declared in a major disaster was New York on March 20 and since then the Empire State has become the epicenter of the pandemic with the higher number of deaths and cases reported each day.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Messi's numbers at Barcelona: appearances, goals, trophies...
- BARCELONA Messi leaves Barcelona, live updates: reactions, possible new club, details
- OLYMPIC GAMES | RACE WALKING Race walking at Tokyo Olympics 2021: rules, distances and courses
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics 2021: Doncic explains assist-heavy display in France defeat
- OLYMPIC GAMES Gardiner takes 400m crown as Crouser defends his title
- OLYMPIC GAMES How long is a marathon? How far is it in miles?