LaLiga would have ended if Madrid were top, says former Barcelona president
LaLiga would not be restarting if Real Madrid were top when it was suspended, according to a former Barcelona president.
Former Barcelona president Joan Gaspart claimed LaLiga would have been cancelled if Real Madrid were top of the table when the season was suspended.
The LaLiga campaign is set to get back underway next month, with Barcelona holding a two-point lead over Madrid with 11 games left to play.
But Gaspart, who was Barça president from 2000 to 2003, said it would have been different if Madrid were leading the league when it was suspended in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.
"If Madrid had finished as leader before the confinement, LaLiga would have ended," he told Tertulia del 10 del Barça, via AS, on Wednesday.
While Barcelona will aim to clinch the LaLiga title, they continue to be linked with former star Neymar, who could return to the club from Paris Saint-Germain.
Gaspart hopes the Brazil international ends up back at Camp Nou, where he left in 2017 for a world-record €222million.
"I would love to see Neymar at Barcelona, I understand that he can still contribute," he said. "What I don't know is the fine print. I forgive what it takes to get him back. I would like him to play for Barça."
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS What is Walmart's buy now, pay later program? Why is the layaway program discarded?
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano eruption today: evacuation, possible tsunami and live updates
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- NFL | JAGUARS Jags QB Lawrence vows not to 'play timid' after throwing seven interceptions
- NFL | BUCS Brady demands Bucs learn from Rams defeat
- Rodgers convinced last-gasp turnaround gives Packers 'legitimacy' as Super Bowl contenders