George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked in the same nightclub
The death of George Floyd has sparked protests and riots across America, and news now has emerged that the officer charged with his murder worked in the same club.
Several days have now passed since George Floyd died in police custody. Derek Chauvin, the officer seen by the world with his knee on top of the victim's neck for seven minutes, was quickly fired from his post and subsequently arrested and charged with third-degree murder. It turns out that this was not the first time these two men’s lives had crossed paths.
Floyd and Chauvin worked at same nightclub
According to Maya Santamaría, former owner of the El Nuevo Rodeo club, both Floyd and Chauvin had worked on the premises. Speaking to NBC news she confirmed that Floyd would occasionally provide security duty, while Chauvin worked at the establishment as an off-duty officer providing further support across much of the 17 years that she owned it.
- The four police officers: their history
- Derek Chauvin charged with murder and manslaughter
- Where does Trump's 'when the looting starts...' quote come from?
- George Floyd GoFundMe page raises nearly $5 million
- Curfew in Minnesota: cities affected, schedules and restrictions
- How a suspected counterfeit $20 bill led to protests across the US
- When did #BlackLivesMatter start?
Santamaría sold the club last year and revealed that the building had been burned down in the riots that have followed the incident every night since. She also advised that although both men worked at the same place, they are unlikely to have known each other as they worked in different areas. Recalling Floyd, she remembered fondly his bog smile.
"He would say, 'Hi boss lady. How you doing tonight?' Real sweet guy, lots of charisma.
"He was very beloved in the Latino community and certainly in his community as well."
Follow all the latest developments related to the George Floyd alleged murder in our rolling coverage.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 NBA All Star: Best images from the Slam Dunk Contest
- USMNT Giovanni Reyna could miss Dortmund's clash against Sevilla
- PREMIER LEAGUE Kane on par with Henry, Liverpool worst champions ever? Premier League weekend's quirky facts
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Atlético attack Real Madrid: "They even criticise correct decisions..."
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League: Juve must be patient against Porto, says Pirlo
- US NEWS Third stimulus check: what's the last step after relief bill passed by Senate?