"The Madrid penalty was correct but Athletic were denied a spot-kick after the Ramos foul"
AS' referee analyst former match official Iturralde maintained that the decision to award a spot-kick for the Dani García foul on Marcelo was correct but Athletic should have had one too after Ramos stepped on Raúl García.
Midway through the second half of the game, Marcelo was clipped by Dani García in the Athletic box and after a consultation with the VAR screen, the match official Gonzalez Gonzalez awards a spot-kick which is converted by Sergio Ramos. For AS in-house former referee Iturralde the decision was correct: “It's a clear penalty. The Athletic player steps on the Brazilian's foot seconds before coming into contact with the ball and there is no doubt in my mind that this is a penalty”.
Minutes later Athletic striker Raúl García goes to ground in the Real Madrid box after a tangle with Sergio Ramos and replays of the incident show the defender step on Garcia's foot. Iturralde also feels that this incident should have resulted in a spot kick for the Basque side stating: “This is also a penalty, intentionality in football counts for nothing. Back in the day I wouldn't have blown for that but with the current rules and applying the letter of the law, this is a penalty kick”.
Iturralde added: “the VAR official, Gil Manzano alleged that there was no intent on behalf of Ramos to upend his opponent, but that's not the issue. The intention aspect has been removed from the rule book so this too is a spot-kick”.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- GAMING NEWS Genshin Impact: how to download free in PS4, PC, iOS and Android
- US Election 2020 What did Trump say about vote by mail in debate against Biden?
- Coronavirus India Covid-19 cases surpass 6.2 million; vice-president Venkaiah Naidu tests positive
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: how much would be paid to children and adults in new HEROES Act?
- US NEWS US elections 2020: What did moderator Chris Wallace and Trump argue about?