Atlanta back to phase 1 coronavirus: restrictions of Mayor Keisha Lance
Atlanta is one of the states that have reported a spike in coronavirus cases and Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms has reinstated Phase 1 reopening guidelines.
Like many other US states, Atlanta has taken a step back in reopening its economy amid the coronavirus pandemic. The mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms announced on Friday that the state will undergo Phase 1 reopening guidelines after a spike in coronavirus cases this past week.
In following Phase 1 guidelines, residents should wear face masks, restaurants should close dining rooms, non-essential city facilities should close and individuals are encouraged to leave home only for essential trips.
“Based upon the surge of COVID-19 cases and other data trends, pursuant to the recommendations of our Reopening Advisory Committee, Atlanta will return to Phase I of our reopening plan,” Bottoms said Friday in a statement. “Georgia reopened in a reckless manner and the people of our city and state are suffering the consequences.”
This decision was taken because Georgia started setting a record-high number of new Covid-19 cases this week and nearly 5,000 were reported Friday. Bottoms announced on Monday that she tested positive for Covid-19, then signed on Wednesday an executive order mandating wearing face masks in public.
"I specifically asked our governor about allowing Atlanta to go forward with mandating masks in our city, he refused," Bottoms said. "Other cities have taken the approach that they are going to defy the governor's executive order and Savannah has done it, some other cities have done it and Atlanta is going to do it today."
Recommended in English
- NFL Wide receiver to wide back, the evolution being driven by the 49ers Deebo Samuel
- NFL Playoff Power Rankings: Packers, Rams, Chiefs | NFL Playoffs
- NFL NFL Wild Card Review: Games, Conclusions and Reflections
- AFCON Guinea-Bissau vs Nigeria: AFCON, times, TV and how to watch online
- AFCON AFCON Group D matchday preview: Egypt vs Sudan and Guinea-Bissau vs Nigeria
- Middleton admits Bucks need a Holiday from sorry slide as Grizzlies come into view