Second stimulus check: what's the current disagreement between Democrats and Republicans?
Donald Trump told Fox Business News that stimulus package negotiations have stalled due to "the post office and the $3.5 billion for mail-in voting."
President Donald Trump on Thursday laid out the main stumbling blocks preventing the White House and senior Democrats from reaching a consensus on a fresh stimulus package after talks between the two parties broke down last week. Republicans and Democrats had aimed to reach a deal before the Senate went into recess on August 7 but negotiators from both sides failed to agree on a variety of issues including funding for states and unemployment benefits.
The impasse led Trump to sign executive orders last Saturday covering unemployment benefits, suspend evictions, student loan payments and payroll taxes, leaving the question of a second round of stimulus checks temporarily on the shelf.
Trump: "If we don't make the deal, they can't have the money"
The risk of Coronavirus to healthy young people is very low but the risks of not having our young people in schools are significant. Honored to join President @realDonaldTrump, @BetsyDeVosED & @KellyannePolls today to discuss the importance of safely reopening America’s schools! pic.twitter.com/S8VUZuN9bj— Mike Pence (@Mike_Pence) August 12, 2020
However, speaking to Fox Business Network on Thursday, Trump suggested that the US Postal Service and his personal bugbear, mail-in voting were to blame for the stalled negotiations.
Trump said his negotiators have resisted Democrats' calls for additional money to help US election officials prepare for a presidential contest during a pandemic that has killed more than 165,000 Americans and presented severe logistical challenges to organizing large events like the November presidential elections.
"The items are the post office and the $3.5 billion for mail-in voting," Trump said, adding that Democrats want to give the post office $25 billion. "If we don't make the deal, that means they can't have the money, that means they can't have universal mail-in voting. It just can't happen."
Trump has repeatedly claimed without evidence that mail-in voting, a way to allow citizens to take part in the election without creating crowding that raises the risk of transmitting Covid-19, is likely to be rife with fraud.
Experts who study elections say there is little proof that this is the case.
Stimulus package talks stalled
Democrats have compromised. Repeatedly, we have made clear to the Trump Admin that we are willing to come down $1 trillion if they will come up $1 trillion. However, it is clear that the Admin still does not grasp the magnitude of the problems that American families are facing.— Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) August 12, 2020
US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin on Monday suggested the Trump administration and Democrats could reach a coronavirus aid deal as soon as this week
However, Mnuchin and White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows have not met with House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer in six days.
Both sides remain some $2 trillion apart in their coronavirus relief funding packages. The Democrats laid out $3 trillion in funding in the HEROES Act in May with the Republicans responding with the $1 trillion HEALS Act last month.
US registers highest daily Covid-19 toll since mid-May
More Testing, which is a good thing (we have the most in the world), equals more Cases, which is Fake News Gold. They use Cases to demean the incredible job being done by the great men & women of the U.S. fighting the China Plague!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 11, 2020
The Washington Post reported that the United States recorded almost 1,500 Covid-19 related fatalities on Wednesday, marking the deadliest day of the pandemic in the country since mid-May.
Live coverage of the coronavirus pandemic
You can stay up-to-date with the latest US developments in the coronavirus crisis by following our dedicated live blog.
Te recomendamos en English
- GAMING Where to buy PS5 at Black Friday: restock times and deals at Walmart, GameStop, Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Stimulus check: what to do if the deadline has passed?
- THANKSGIVING Bank opening hours on Thanksgiving 2020: Bank of America, Citi, Wells Fargo, JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs
- US NEWS How to cook turkey - recipes for Thanksgiving: time, temperature in oven, seasoning...
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: why are economists calling for a new payment?
- Thanksgiving Stores opening hours in Thanksgiving 2020: Walmart, Target, Costco...
- BARCELONA Two USMNT players make history with Barcelona in Champions League
- BARCELONA Jordi Alba predicts USMNT's Dest to become Barcelona star
- BARCELONA Koeman says nothing behind 'happy' Griezmann not starting in against Kiev
- Champions League Real Madrid's San Siro woe, Lewandowski targets Raul
- FIFA Best Awards Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Mbappé among FIFA 2020 Best candidates
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Inter Milan vs Real Madrid: preview, team news, predicted XIs
- US NEWS Black Friday 2020: when does it start and finish?