Messi case: Barcelona fire lawyers for conflict of interest
According to reports in Spain, the Catalan club has ended its relationship with the law firm Cuatrecasas who have also been representing the player.
The Messi case has already claimed its first victim. On Wednesday, FC Barcelona informed the prestigious Cuatrecasas law firm that it was dispensing with its services as legal counsel to the club. The reason given was that the firm had shown disloyalty towards the club and had a conflict of interests as this same company was also representing Lional Messi as he looks for a ’cost-free’ exit.
Barcelona-Messi shared lawyers
Cuatrecasas, through Jorge Pocourt, one of the partners who specialises in sports and tax law, is the one who will try to demonstrate that Messi has the right to unilaterally break his contract despite the fact that the communication should have been made before 10 June. Due to the extension of the 2019/20 season because of the pandemic postponement, the club disagree.
The law firm has had Barça as a client for many years, and they defended the Catalan club in the Neymar Case. And then there’s the curious fact that it was club president Josep Maria Bartomeu who advised Messi to go to this firm when he had his issues with the Spanish treasury.
Since then, Cuatrecasas has represented the Argentine’s legal requirements and this brings us to the present day where those responsibilities are at odds with those of the club. Barça executives believe that the initiative to send the now-infamous burofax came from these lawyers who, until Wednesday, had the lucrative contract of one of the biggest clubs in the world.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: is a new payment coming? Opt-out, eligibility, tax refund...
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 schedule today, July 31: events, sports, times, and how to watch
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo 2021: Simone Biles pulls out of vault and bars finals
- OLYMPIC GAMES Connor Fields suffered brain bleed in BMX crash, out of ICU
- OLYMPIC GAMES South Korea U23 vs Mexico U23 live online: scores, stats and updates | Olympic men's soccer