Stimulus check: what did Pelosi say about the $1.3 trillion package?
Democratic House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi said the $1.3 trillion sum proposed by Republicans was not enough to meet the needs of the American people.
On Thursday House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows held a phone call to discuss the terms of the new stimulus relief package.
However the two sides remained at loggerheads regarding the amount of money that should be spent on the relief package.
On Friday, Meadows confirmed that President Donald Trump is ready to sign into law a $1.3 trillion stimulus package drafted by the White House and Senate Republicans, which is $300 billion more than the Republican's original $1 trillion proposal.
But Pelosi believes $1.3 trillion is not sufficient, saying: “Republicans are rejecting the funding needed for testing and tracing to crush the virus and safely reopen schools and the economy.”
Democrats and Republicans still far from an agreement
President Trump spoke about the subject on Air Force One during a flight to Washington from New Hampshire.
“My impression is that Pelosi wants to give no stimulus, all she wants is a bailout for badly run Democrat states,” he said.
The Republicans new offer allocates $500 billion to a checklist of items that have gained bipartisan support, but does not include a second round of stimulus payments.
“I can tell the American people what is in the offer the president has made and that he’s willing to sign: enhanced unemployment at levels (Pelosi) would agree with, enhanced help for small businesses at levels she would agree with, literally help for day care and hospitals at levels she would agree with, and help for schools at levels she would agree with,” Meadows said Sunday.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is a payment coming? IRS tax return deadline, Child Tax Credit
- US News Covid-19 vaccine in the US live updates: CDC says fully vaccinated no mask, guidelines, Ohio lottery...
- Serie A Ronaldo will lead Juve exodus without Champions League - Vieri
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid boss Zidane: Sometimes a change is best for everyone
- BOXING Floyd Mayweather vs Logan Paul: PPV cost and how to buy
- NBA Doc Rivers: top seed part of journey to ultimate goal for 76ers