Second stimulus check: the approval of the package could be delayed until October
US Congress are on holiday as of August without a formal agreement on a coronavirus relief package that, among other measures, will likely include a second round of stimulus payments.
A second round of stimulus check payments for financially strapped US citizens badly hit by the economic effects of the Covid-19 pandemic has been broadly agreed upon by Democrats and Republicans, but the failure of both parties to reach consensus on a fresh stimulus package before a deadline of 7 August has left the issue of a second round of payments up in the air.
Congress adjourned for the August recess on Monday 10th and now will not return until after Labor Day on 7 September. It means that with no deal on the table for a new Coronavirus relief package, Americans face over at least a month’s wait for a second $1,200 stimulus check.
- Second stimulus check: what did Mike Pence say?
- Will Trump sign second stimulus check before US elections?
- Democrats and Republicans agree on second payment
- Unemployment benefits: what states have approved extra $300 weekly?
- Stimulus check: what is #OccupyCongress?
- Trump blames Democrats for stimulus package delay
- HEALS Act vs HEROES Act
The earliest that a deal could be struck will be after Congress returns from vacation on 8 September but even then, it's unlikely that anything will happen immediately. The House of Representatives is not due to reconvene for voting until 14 September although members will remain on stand-by to return to Washington at 24-hours’ notice in the remote scenario that a deal on new stimulus legislation is struck. For any new bill to be passed, members are required to cast their vote in person and so would have to be recalled from vacation. Looking ahead to a potential agreement and subsequent payment, the earliest beneficiaries would see money arriving in accounts would be 23 September. This is very much the best case scenario with a more realistic date for payments to be made some time in October.
Live coverage of the coronavirus crisis
You can follow live, US-focused coverage of the coronavirus crisis with our dedicated live blog.
Te recomendamos en English
- Entertainment Golden Globes 2021: hosts, presenters and special guests
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus Check: is it necessary to live in the US to be eligible for payment?
- GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS Golden Globes 2021: times, TV and how and where to watch online
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? New $3000 child tax credit: live
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: when will the proposal be voted on in the Senate?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check: who voted in favour in the House of Representatives?