Setién announces legal action against Barcelona over sacking
After not hearing anything official from the club until this week, former Barça boss Quique Setién is taking steps towards a four-million-euro payout.
Quique Setién will request for a settlement payment of four million euros gross to FC Barcelona, something that his contract stipulated for the 2020-21 season. The new recently-appointed lawyers of the former boss at Camp Nou have issued a statement this afternoon in which they announce the case against the club.
Setién takes legal action against Bacelona
In the published statement, tweeted by Setién himself, it says that the coach was officially informed for the first time on Wednesday of his departure from the club, claiming that this ”reveals the intention of the board of directors was not to comply with their employment contracts."
Related Barça news:
The communication from Quique Setién, Eder Sarabia, Jon Pascua and Fran Soto reads:
‘After a month of complete silence from the FC Barcelona board of directors, and after various requests from us, it was not until yesterday [Wednesday 16 Sept] that we finally received the first official communication, via burofax. This communication reveals the clear intention of the club directors not to comply with their employment contracts dated 01/14/2020.
‘In my case, Quique Setién, it was made public and is well-known that on 17 August both the club and its president announced my dismissal with immediate effect. However, it was not until yesterday, 16 September (one month later), when they issued me, for the first time, with a written communication of said dismissal (without any settlement).
‘With regard to the rest of the coaching staff, we were all notified yesterday, to our surprise, of a "future deployment” at the club.
‘With everything that has been said, we feel obliged to put this matter of conflict in the hands of our lawyers to find a resolution, filing the corresponding legal actions. This is to ensure that our rights, those that were agreed previously with FC Barcelona are preserved.’
In principle, this complaint will not prevent new coach Ronald Koeman from taking charge on the first day of LaLiga for the team as they face off against Villarreal. Barça did not inform Quique Setién's legal representatives of his dismissal formally, although in legal terms they understood that once a new coach is appointed, the dismissal is effective. Setién's Barça story seems destined to end in court.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT: How many Olympic medals does Carli Lloyd have?
- MLB trade deadline Yankees get Rizzo from Cubs, Schwarber to Red Sox
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 schedule today, July 30: events, sports, times, and how to watch
- Tokyo Olympics: Fraser-Pryce dazzles but Ta Lou sets the standard in stunning women's sprint heats
- NBA Wizards reportedly trade Westbrook to LA Lakers in draft-night blockbuster