Official: Luis Suárez signs for Atlético Madrid until 2022
The Uruguayan arrived in Madrid this morning, ahead of passing his medical and signing a two-year deal at the Wanda Metropolitano. He will train with his new teammates this evening.
Luis Suárez is officially an Atlético Madrid player. The 33-year-old forward arrived in the Spanish capital this morning, before going directly to the University of Navarra Clinic, where he arrived at 10:30 to undergo his medical. The Uruguayan then went to the Wanda Metropolitano to sign a two-year contract with Los Rojiblancos.
After visiting the club's facilities, he will meet his new teammates in the afternoon for his first training session at Cerro del Espino. José María Giménez, his compatriot and national team teammate will not be there to introduce his fellow countryman to members of the Atleti team and staff, as he is recovering from Covid-19. Head coach Diego Simeone, is also absent, as he remains in self-isolation after testing positive for coronavirus.
Debut as a Rojiblanco against Granada
Suárez is also expected to send his first message to the Atlético fans through the club's media. He will have only two training sessions (Friday and Saturday) before making his debut, as he is expected to feature at some point in Sunday's clash between Atlético and Granada. The plan is for Diego Costa to start the game in attack, with the introduction of new signing Suárez coming on for his debut in the second half.
In addition, Suárez will wear the number 9 shirt for his new club, the same number he wore during his six seasons at Barça and wears for Uruguay. The number has become available since Alvaro Morata departed for Juventus during the week.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds