Wijnaldum: Liverpool midfielder discusses reported Barcelona interest
Georginio Wijnaldum was linked with a transfer-window switch to Barcelona but says he does not think there was any serious interest in him.
There was "nothing concrete" in Barcelona's reported interest in Georginio Wijnaldum during the transfer window, the Liverpool midfielder says.
Liverpool man tipped to join compatriot Koeman at Barcelona
Wijnaldum was linked with a move to Camp Nou after his former boss with the Netherlands national team, Ronald Koeman, took over from Quique Setién.
His position in Liverpool's midfield was also thrown into doubt following the Premier League champions' capture of Thiago Alcántara from Bayern Munich.
A deal never materialised for the 29-year-old, though, and he has started the season strongly, featuring in all four of the Reds' Premier League games.
A quick stop over at home before heading to camp pic.twitter.com/aYQ5VU9EDQ— Gini Wijnaldum (@GWijnaldum) October 5, 2020
Barcelona interest wasn't that serious, Wijnaldum says
"I don't think [the Barcelona interest] was that serious, otherwise you would have read a bit more, or more would have happened," Wijnaldum told a media conference ahead of Netherlands' friendly with Mexico and Nations League games against Bosnia-Herzegovina and Italy.
"There was nothing concrete. I didn't have to think about it. I will stay on [with Liverpool] it looks like now. My contract will run for another 10 months.
"It could still change, of course you never know that in football. So we'll see."
Te recomendamos en English
- SOCCER Atlético Madrid: Trippier has his future mapped out
- NFL Buffalo Bills 31 vs Tennessee Titans 34 summary: score, stats, and highlights | NFL Week 6
- MLB Boston Red Sox annihilate Houston Astros in Game 3
- NFL NFL week 6 highlights: scores, updates, big wins and losses
- USMNT Gio Reyna could miss November international break
- NBA LeBron discusses injuries ahead of Lakers-Warriors clash