Oyarzabal out of Portugal game after 'non-negative' PCR test
Spain travelled to Portugal without Mikel Oyarzabal, who produced a "non-negative" result in his latest PCR test.
Mikel Oyarzabal did not travel with Spain to Portugal for Wednesday's friendly after testing positive for coronavirus antibodies.
UEFA guidance on such PCR test results is that Oyarzabal should not be present at the stadium, despite not posing a risk of spreading Covid-19.
While Adama Traore withdrew from the squad in similar circumstances in September, Oyarzabal will remain in contention for the Nations League matches against Switzerland and Ukraine on Saturday and Tuesday pending further tests.
A statement from the Royal Spanish Football Federation read: "Mikel Oyarzabal did not travel with the national team to Portugal and is out for the friendly match in Lisbon after receiving the results of the last PCR carried out at Las Rozas.
"The Real Sociedad forward has been non-negative, although he has highly positive IgG antibodies, so he can carry out his professional activity with absolute normality and exercise with his team-mates since he does not pose any risk of contagion.
"In this sense, the UEFA protocol, as happened with Adama in September, recommends not going to the stadium if the result of the PCR is not totally negative.
"According to Spanish legislation for returning to football, Oyarzabal could train normally and play in official competitions, after the relevant periods from his first positive, if he remains without symptoms and has antibodies."
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: is a new payment coming? Opt-out, eligibility, tax refund...
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 schedule today, July 31: events, sports, times, and how to watch
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo 2021: Simone Biles pulls out of vault and bars finals
- OLYMPIC GAMES Connor Fields suffered brain bleed in BMX crash, out of ICU
- OLYMPIC GAMES South Korea U23 vs Mexico U23 live online: scores, stats and updates | Olympic men's soccer