Real Madrid striker Jovic tests positive for coronavirus
Real Madrid have confirmed that Serbian striker Luka Jovic has tested positive for Covid-19, becoming the fifth Madrid player to contract the virus.
More bad news has emerged for Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane following the international break. After Sergio Ramos was ruled out Madrid’s next three games due to an injury picked during Spain’s 6-0 win over Germany on Wednesday, it has now been confirmed that Serbian striker Luka Jovic has tested positive for coronavirus.
Real Madrid announced that the 22-year-old striker tested positive in a PCR test carried out following his return from international duty with Serbia.
On Wednesday the Serbian Federation announced that four members of the Serbian camp -- three players, Milinkovic-Savic, Nikolic and Lazovic, and one of the team’s physios -- tested positive in PCR tests carried out at the time.
At that time, Jovic tested negative, but the test carried out upon his return to Madrid has revealed that he has in fact contracted Covid-19 and must remain in quarantine until he returns a negative test.
Jovic becomes the fourth Madrid player to recently be confirmed coronavirus positive after Eder Militao, Casemiro and Eden Hazard. All three of those players have returned to training this week and could be available to Zidane for the meeting with Villarreal on Saturday.
In total five Madrid players have contracted Covid-19, with Mariano being the first back in June.
Benzema doubt for Real Madrid
Jovic's positive announcement comes amid doubts over Benzema's inclusion for the game against Villarreal.
The Frenchman picked up a muscle knock in the last LaLiga game against Valencia at Mestalla and has combined solo work with group sessions this week. If in the end he is not deemed fit to start, Mariano would be the only natural centre forward available to Zidane, who gave the Spanish-Dominicans a total of just 89 minutes of game time last season.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 25 July
- HEALTHCARE What is the Candida auris 'superbug' fungal infection spreading in the US? What are the symptoms?
- US NEWS What is critical race theory? What topics were cut under Texas’ new anti-CRT education bill?
- Concacaf Gold Cup USA vs Jamaica live: 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Quarter-final online
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Katie Ledecky medals, swimming finals, medal count results today July 25
- Olympic Games Tokyo Olympics 2021: When does Team USA Gymnastics and Simone Biles compete? dates and times