US players scoring in Europe's big leagues
Giovanni Reyna, Weston McKennie and Christian Pulisic are the USMNT players who scored a goal, breaking a record established in 2005.
What a great weekend for the United States men’s international team, as three of their players scored for European clubs in their domestic leagues. Take a bow Christian Pulisic (Chelsea), Gio Reyna (BVB) and Weston McKennie (Juventus).
Another record for the USMNT
All three players are under the age of 22 and are making a direct impact in their teams. Pulisic came off the bench to score his first goal of the season with Chelsea in the Premier League after returning from his injury.
Weston Mckennie also came on as a sub in Juventus' 2-1 victory over Torino for matchday 10 of Serie A. The United States international tied the game after he scored from a corner kick with a beautiful header.
Then to top it off, Gio Reyna, who started the game, became the second youngest American to score two Bundesliga goals, after Christian Pulisic. The 18-year old scored a brace to give Borussia Dortmund all three points against Frankfurt in the Bundesliga.
The last time three different Americans scored in one of the five major European leagues on the same day was on 27 August 2005, when Brian McBride, Claudio Reyna and Jermaine Jones scored for their respective clubs.
Recommended in English
- NATURAL DISASTERS Why do tsunamis happen in the Pacific Ocean?
- ENVIRONMENT Earth's sixth mass extinction has begun according to scientists
- TENNIS Djokovic could be spared three year Australia entry ban
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL NFL Playoff Bracket: Who will play who in the Divisional Round?
- TENNIS Djokovic banned from Australia for three years, federal government confirms