Mexico national team will prioritize the 2021 Olympic Games, says coach Gerardo Martino
The head coach of the Mexican national team admitted that the Olympic Games at Tokyo 2021 are a priority for him and the goal is to win the gold medal.
The Mexican national team will have a tight schedule in 2021 because they have to play exhibition matches, the Gold Cup, the Final Four of the Nations League in CONCACAF, the World Cup qualifiers and the Olympic Games in Tokyo.
According to head coach Gerardo Martino, Mexico will prioritize the Olympic Games with the objective to win the gold medal at Tokyo 2021. He also said that he will not manage the team, instead it will be Jaime Lozano who will coach El Tri in the tournament.
“We have to find a balance with all the competitions that we will be on next year, but like I said during the November international break, the most important tournament next year is the World Cup qualifiers that start in September. Then we will prioritize the Olympic Games,” said Martino during an interview with TUDN.
Even though there are several players under 23 that already play with the Mexican national team, Martino made it clear that he will work with Lozano for the roster that will be competing in Tokyo.
“We have to choose the three veteran players that will join the under-23 roster for the Olympic Games and the chosen ones will not play in the Gold Cup.” Mexico has not booked a ticket to Tokyo just yet as they have to play the CONCACAF pre-Olympic qualifiers that will be held in March in Guadalajara, Jalisco.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO How many times has Barcelona won against Real Madrid without Messi?
- NFL Denver Broncos 14 vs Cleveland Browns 17 summary: score, highlights | NFL Week 7
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- US NEWS How could Alec Baldwin have killed Halyna Hutchins with a prop firearm?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?