Official: Handball World Cup in Egypt behind closed doors
The tournament's organizing higher committee decided to call off fans' attendance at World Cup games to be held in Egypt.
After International Handball Federation (IHF) received a hail of criticism over allowing fans to attend the 2021 handball World Cup to be held in Egypt between 13 and 31 January, the higher committee organizing the tournament decided to hold the competition without fans' attendance due to the ongoing covid-19 pandemic situation in the country and after many handball superstars threatened to miss out on the event.
The European Handball Players Union (EHPU) has earlier written to Hassan Mostafa, the president of the International Handball Federation (IHF), calling on him to reconsider fans' attendance at the courts' stands due to the severity of the current situation in Egypt that is facing the second wave of the virus nowadays.
The committee decided to accept handball stars requests:
In response to calls from several parties, the tournament's higher committee held a meeting attended by Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly and the international handball federation president Hassan Mostafa to decide on the matter.
The committee finally decided that the competition will be held behind closed doors for the safety of everyone despite it had been decided earlier that fans can occupy up to 20% of the court's capacity during the tournament.
Egyptian national team is set to start its journey in the tournament by taking on Chile on Wednesday at Cairo International Stadium covered hall.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check: who is in favor of its approval?
- US NEWS What is the process for DC to become a state?
- BUNDESLIGA Bayern Munich ready to support returning Lewandowski in pursuit of Gerd Müller record
- REAL MADRID UEFA will not kick Real Madrid out of this season's Champions League
- EURO 2020 La Cartuja in Seville to host Euro 2020 games, instead of San Mamés
- European Super League: Solskjaer 'very happy' fans won battle & did not like concept