Covid-19: Man City's Agüero forced to isolate after contact with positive case
Striker Sergio Agüero was not involved in Manchester City's FA Cup win over Birmingham City as he had to self-isolate, Pep Guardiola said.
Sergio Agüero is in isolation after the Manchester City and Argentina striker came into contact with someone who tested positive for coronavirus.
Agüero recovers from injury but unable to play due to covid-19 protocols
Agüero was expected to feature in Sunday's FA Cup clash with Birmingham City at the Etihad Stadium after recovering from knee and hamstring problems.
However, he was not in the matchday squad, with Gabriel Jesus starting the 3-0 victory over the Championship side.
Manager Pep Guardiola later confirmed that 32-year-old Agüero is isolating despite returning a negative test for covid-19.
"Unfortunately, he was in contact more than usual with one person who is positive," Guardiola said after the match. "He must isolate for a few days.
"I don't know exactly because he has been tested like all of us six times in the last 10-15 days so it is negative. Today I think he was negative too but the protocols says in some cases isolate, and in other cases we still play football. He was not able to play today."
Agüero limited to three starts for Man City so far this season
Agüero, whose contract expires at the end of the season, has only made three starts for City in all competitions in 2020-21.
In his absence on Sunday, two goals from Bernardo Silva and another from Phil Foden secured City's place in the fourth round of the cup.
Guardiola's men return to Premier League action at home to Brighton and Hove Albion on Wednesday and host Crystal Palace next Sunday.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds